• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shura

Shura

user

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:History, biographies, language learning, bicycling, camping (with showers and toilets), Autism Society of WA

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:09 AM

Даже ABBYY Lingvo Англо-русский электронный словарь не делает всё, что может. Выразив свое мнение в этом письме, сегодня отправила его:

Dear ABBYY LINGVO:

I cannot imagine life on my computer without the ABBYY LINGVO dictionary. I appreciate the progressive developments and the dictionary options. The capabilities of the LINGVO TUTOR are invaluable! Thank you for this feature, and making this usefulness attainable for customers, including native speakers of other languages.

However, I am acutely aware the dictionary program was designed for native Russian-speaking consumers, who can utilize features of this product that are not available to everyone (e.g. those studying the Russian language). Your dictionaries are still focused on this target group, thus limiting your market appeal, and underestimating its potential.
Why not expand your market and cater to non-native Russian speakers to the SAME extent you cater to native Russian speakers.??? Perhaps ABBYY LINGVO will consider the following suggestions for additions to the Russian dictionary:

1. Accent marks
So basic, it is hard to conceive a reference source entitled "dictionary" would overlook this. It was, after all, significant enough be included in the English dictionary entries.

2. Russian sound files.
As ABBYY LINGVO has sound files for the English dictionary, the concept of its usefulness must already be understood; assuredly, this concept likewise applies to Russian language learners.

With these enhancements, your dictionary product would be unprecedented and utterly indispensable for Russian learners at every level! Such improvements could apply directly to dictionaries in other languages, thus expanding markets to native speakers of German, French, Italian, and Spanish who are studying Russian.

If I am mistaken and these features exist or are currently in process, please excuse my comments and enlighten me on how to obtain them. Otherwise, I thank you for consideration of this correspondence.

Sincerely,

Sharon Zima

Если получу ответ, то сообщу.

#2 Sergei Steshenko

Sergei Steshenko

advanced user

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:52 AM

Regarding "Accent marks" - that's a case of similarity between Russians and Jews IMHO. Everyday Hebrew is written without the marks as well as without vowels - the reason once given by my father was "Jews are considered to be smart enough to be able to read without this data" :lol: .

#3 Shura

Shura

user

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:History, biographies, language learning, bicycling, camping (with showers and toilets), Autism Society of WA

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

Are you saying dictionaries with accent marks are for those people who are less than smart?

Therefore, it stands to reason that truly brilliant people (like you, Sergei :wink:) should use dictionaries that include neither accent marks nor definitions.

#4 Sergei Steshenko

Sergei Steshenko

advanced user

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

Are you saying dictionaries with accent marks are for those people who are less than smart?

Therefore, it stands to reason that truly brilliant people (like you, Sergei  :wink:) should use dictionaries that include neither accent marks nor definitions.

No, I'm saying that it's dumb to think one is smart :lol: .

By the way, Hebrew dictionaries are with "vowels", just newspapers and
books are without.

My Hebrew is still not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users